About the Webinar
- In simple terms, an ally is someone who stands up for the equitable and fair treatment of someone who is different from them. Anyone can be an ally for a marginalized or vulnerable group; it involves actively listening and learning about others’ experiences, as well as taking action to end discrimination. Allyship hinges on embracing a learning mindset and a willingness to question your assumptions, evolve your thinking, and owning your mistakes.
- In this webinar, we’ll explore the relationship between inclusion and belonging, reflecting on dimensions of diversity that have shaped our personal access to opportunity. We’ll investigate the concepts of power and privilege through a relational lens, identifying concrete steps we can take to interrupt bias and address injustice. Lastly, we’ll delve into real-life scenarios involving micro-aggressions and discrimination, brainstorming ways that allies can take action.
- Key topics covered:
- Define key terminology related to allyship
- Make a connection between belonging, engagement, and productivity
- Articulate what it means to act as an ally to a marginalized group
- Explain how bystander behavior contributes to bias and exclusion
- Identify concrete actions that allies can take in addressing bias and discrimination
- Brainstorm inclusive actions an ally could take in real-life scenarios
About the Presenter
Christa Kirby is VP of Talent Development and Global Practice Director for Management and Leadership at Corporate Education Group (CEG). A licensed psychotherapist, Christa integrates her global experience as a mental health professional with her passion for holistically developing leaders and teams. For the last 25 years, she has been designing and delivering impactful learning experiences to companies, nonprofits, and non-governmental organizations all over the world.
Christa has also played a pivotal role in various national and global initiatives focused on diversity, equity, and inclusion, civil society building, and conflict resolution. Her work has taken her across North America, throughout Western and Northern Europe, as well as to countries including Afghanistan, Bosnia, Croatia, Romania, Estonia, Ethiopia, India, and Singapore. Click here to see her TED Talk, “What Lies within Us: the Transformational Power of Creativity.”